Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Get Well Smoothie!

The food supply in my house is running dangerously low now that I've been sick for well over a week.  I have a lot of cereal, oatmeal, and dried psuedograins.  I've been making a lot of overnight oats and surviving off of that, and the bag of potatoes that is very nearly spent.  The situation is dire, haha.  I certainly don't live in a food dessert, but it feels like it right now.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when you live alone and don't have friends outside of work in a new state.  You will starve, haha.

So today, I accessed what I had in the house.  Sadly, my frozen bananas never made it into a container, so they are beyond freezer burnt.  There's still a quarter of a tub of frozen spinach though!  All of my dried goods for smoothies are there.. and I still have some Silk Protein Smoothie in Strawberry Banana.  I have no idea when I opened it, but it still smells and tastes good..

This is what I came up with:

Also pictured?  My daily vitamins (Deva Vegan Multivitamin) & an Iron/Zinc tablet.
I've also been drinking a lot of Throat Comfort & Sinus Soother teas.
Ingredients:
1.5 c Silk Fruit & Protein in Strawberry Banana
2 tbsp Amazing Grass Raw Reserve Supergreens
2 tbsp Navitas Naturals Raw Cacao Nibs
1 c raw frozen Spinach
1 tbsp Whole Foods 365 Organic Raw Agave Nectar
2 tbsp Jarrow Formulas Rice Protein Powder

Place all ingredients in the blender.  I have found it's easiest to do liquids, powders, then top with leafy greens to keep your powders off the sides of the blender.  I started on dough and once it was just mixed, bumped it up to blend for a good 30 seconds to break down those nibs.

Nutrition breakdown:
Total Calories: 383
Total Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 63g
Total Protein: 22g
Total Iron: 38g
Total Vitamin C: 187%

If you have kale, please use it.  Basically, add any cruciferous greens you have!  Dried chili pepper would be a good additional to this as well for it's immunity boosting properties, though it may clash just a touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment