Wednesday, April 16, 2014

REVIEW: True Nutrition

I recently spoke with a member of the True Nutrition staff about their vegan protein options.  If you want a super affordable, customizable option, this. is. it.  I can make it even more affordable; with code "BBE100", you'll receive 5% off of your order with True Nutrition.

True Nutrition allows you the freedom to mix your own protein powders.  I don't just mean pick a base and a flavor.. I mean, you can pick percentages of various powders, carb and fat mix ins, flavors, sweeteners, and you can do this in any size from 1 to 100 pound quantities.  The custom mix generator is super easy to use.  As you change your options, it shows you how it effects your nutritional breakdown per scoop so you can make your mix exactly to your specific needs.  There is literally nothing else like this on the market that I am aware of, and more importantly, they have several vegan options.  The mixes come in your choice of a resealable bag with a plastic scoop, or a plastic tub with a plastic scoop.  I love that you have the option.


True Nutrition sent me my custom blend of 75% pea & 25% hemp protein with the NATURAL Premium Chocolate Banana, the Organic Rice Protein Concentrate in NATURAL Premium Vanilla, Gemma Pea Protein Isolate in NATURAL Premium Chocolate, Gemma Pea Protein Isolate in Premium Dutch Chocolate Fudge, and their newest vegan protein option; Alfalfa Supergreen Protein Powder in NATURAL Premium Vanilla.  All options were at a double flavor.  This were mixed in either a Blender Bottle, a Smart Shake cup, or blended in a smoothie in my Ninja Kitchen System.  Sometimes they were just mixed with water, other times with almond milk, coconut milk, or juice.  I didn't notice any difference in soluability or texture based off of these variables.


GEMMA PEA PROTEIN:
Price: $8.49/lb*
Total Calories: 120
Total Fat: 1.8g
Total Carbohydrates: 1.2g
Total Protein: 24.6g

Double Premium Dutch Chocolate Fudge:
  This is hands down my favorite flavor I've ever had in my life.  It doesn't just taste like a fudgy chocolate.. it's tastes like chocolate-y, fudgy brownie mix.  I could probably eat this by the spoonful.  It's sweet, but not cloyingly so, and it's good mixed with water.  It dissolved easily, and did well with both cold water and hot-ish coffee.  I will order a pound of this flavor every time I place an order.   I just placed an order (today, 4/16,2014) and ordered two pounds of this.  This is my current "go to".  When my order arrives, I'm going to make up a big batch of protein brownies.

Double NATURAL Premium Chocolate:  This was a very good chocolate protein powder.  This is great for people who like a chocolate, nothing crazy sweet, nothing over powering, and furthermore, it's from their natural line of flavors.  I would describe this as a more traditional chocolate flavor.  I used this one a LOT to make protein mochas in the morning.  Actually, it was the first one I finished for that reason.  I definitely recommend this flavor.

ORGANIC RICE PROTEIN CONCENTRATE:
Price: $7.99/lb* OR $8.99/lb* (not sure which one I have)
Total Calories: 113
Total Fat: 0.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 3g
Total Protein: 24g

Double NATURAL Premium Vanilla:
  I used this one in coffee several times, as well as with fruit smoothies.  It dissolved well, but I did notice a little more foaming and texture with this one than the pea protein.  That said, it's still an improvement over most of the rice proteins I have had, and I actually used it at 25% in my custom mix I ordered today; ie: not a reason to dismiss this protein powder.  As far as the actual flavor, it's a little sweet, but I did also have it at double strength so that could be why.. ha.

ALFALFA SUPERGREEN PROTEIN POWDER:
Price:  $12.99*
Total Calories: 118
Total Fat: 3.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 3.7g
Total Protein: 15.5g

Double NATURAL Premium Vanilla:
  Same problem as the rice, I don't think I love this flavor; at least not at double strength.  Other than that, I have mixed feelings on this one overall.  It's definitely a unique protein powder, and one I would recommend in a blend, but probably not 100% by itself.  IF you're going to use it by itself, keep in mind that you will have to use this like a green powder mix, NOT like a regular protein powder.  It has the texture of a green powder, and even at double strength vanilla, I could still taste that it was a little green.  It certainly wasn't undrinkable, but I definitely couldn't happily use it like my other protein powders (ie: in coffee, for protein pudding, etc).  This one has a place in your protein powder repitoire, but it's definitely not a regualr protein powder, period.  That said, if you're already doing green smoothies, don't dismiss it; it's 15.5g of protein you can easily add.

CUSTOM MIX:  GEMMA PEA 75% & HEMP PROTEIN 25%
Price:  $11.24*
Total Calories: 120
Total Fat: 2.3g
Total Carbohydrates: 2.8g
Total Protein: 21.8g

Double NATURAL Premium Chocolate Banana:
  This is so good.  This has that artificial banana flavor that I have had a serious love for my entire life.  Don't get me wrong, this doesn't taste like a banana smoothie.  But it DOES taste like a banana shake.  This is easily my second favorite and I'm glad I  chose to try this one.  This will be in the regular rotation.  The best way to describe the artificial banana flavor to you is think of banana Runts or Laffy Taffy; THAT banana flavor.  As far as the blend of proteins, I am definitely more a fan of the pea protein than any of the others for the texture and soluability.  The hemp wasn't overly gritty or textured, but it definitely wasn't as smooth as the pea protein and it stood out in comparison.  I'm not dismissing the hemp protein for future blends, but I can definitely tell I wouldn't want to order it unblended with other proteins.





OVERALL:Are you ready to hear the most impressive part of ordering from True Nutrition?  This order right here, for five pounds of vegan proteins, in varied flavors and with various protein sources?  The total cost pre-shipping was only $57.80.  $57.80!!  Sometimes we're paying $30-$50 for ONE POUND.  This is insane in the best possible way.


I am so impressed with the variety of flavor and protein options with True Nutrition that I can't help but sing their praises.  As a vegan, I am excited about the amount of options; I can't even imagine how non-vegans feel browsing all of their options.  I have nothing but positive things to say about this site and company.  The prices are good, the shipping was fast, and everything felt very safe and clean with the packaging. 

I give this company a rating of 5 out of 5.  I am a very happy (now repeat) customer.


Disclaimer:  These items were sent to me to review by True Nutrition.  As always, I reserve the right to my honest opinion.

*Prices are based on price per pound and do not include flavor, fat/carb add-ins, or packaging costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment