Monday, July 14, 2014

TRAINING: My First 5k!

The title is kind of cheating.. yes it's a 5k, but like so many 5ks, it's a fun run.  We're doing the Neon Dash 5k on September 20th.  How do I feel about my upcoming first 5k?

I'm really excited!  I haven't been training the way I should, but I'm still guardedly optimistic.  Aaron and I have been adjusting to what my co-worker (and fellow runner) Rachael calls "married life".  We don't quite have a routine yet, so our gym visits have been sparse.  I haven't gone running in a couple of weeks and it scares me.  I still walk my usual 1.4 miles to work everyday, but Aaron has been picking me up in the evenings.  I would run to work, but it's simply been to hot.  On average, it's 86-90 degrees when I'm walking to work.  I live in Texas.

Am I worried?  Absolutely not.  I know I can run two miles solid at a good 10 minute pace.  Even if it takes me 30 minutes to run this thing, I know I have the endurance because I do at least that on the elliptical as a cardio warm up.  Should I be training more?  Yes.  Actual running, outside or on a treadmill would be ideal.  We all know that running and the elliptical aren't even comparable outside of the fact that both get your heart pumping.

Being completely honest, I'm most excited about decided what to wear race day!  I've never ran a 5k and I'm super excited to get out there, dress in all white, and get covered in Neon goo!  I own so many neon accessories from my goth/industrial club days that I'm excited to get them out and show them some love.  The main debate I'm having with myself is the consequences of running three miles in Chucks.  You know, Converse All Stars.. the flattest shoe ever?  I have some that are neon yellow, but it just seems like a terrible idea.

I'm also pretty excited about dressing Aaron up. *insert evil laughter here*

No comments:

Post a Comment